Mold and the story behind it

Mold and the Story Behind it

All about Mold

Mold is a fungus that grows on damp surfaces or spaces in many different areas. There are many different types of molds. Most are a natural part of the environment. Some grow inside and then there are some that grow outside. There are some types of molds that can be harmful but not all are dangerous. If you encounter this type of fungus inside your home, be sure to take the proper precautions to remove it. Outside molds are not really anything to worry about.

Is it Inside Your Home?

The best way to keep mold out of your home is to control all the inside moisture. If you have some type of leak or water break in your home this can be a source for mold. It is very important to clean and properly dry the damp or wet areas quickly. This should be done sooner than 48 hours after the leak starts to prevent mold growth.

Mold vs. Health

Not all molds are harmful, but some people have reacted badly to it. It can produce potentially toxic substances. This can cause the body to show symptoms of an allergic reaction. Sneezing, red eyes and even skin rashes have been known to associate with an allergic reaction.

Cleaning  Properly

It is a proven fact that mold spores do not grow without moisture. Depending on where the fungus is located, it can be cleaned fairly easy and cheap. More severe cases cost more and are harder to maintain. You can use store bought products or make your own products. Some people choose to make their own cleaning products because they are less harmful if inhaled, spilled or ingested. One way you can stop mold growth is by adding water and vinegar to a spray bottle and spraying the affected areas. Letting it sit on the areas before cleaning is more effective.

Wearing Appropriate Gear

When cleaning up molds you must first make sure you are dressed correctly. Make sure to wear long gloves, a respirator mask and goggles before you begin scrubbing. You can put all of this gear on while you are waiting for the chemicals to sink in. Wearing all the proper gear protects you from handling the fungus or ingesting it in any way. Once you are sure that you have cleaned and properly dried the molded areas, you may now dispose for your gear that is not reusable.