Water leaks can be a problem at any time of the year. But, it is especially important as the weather gets cooler to make sure you do not have any leaking or damaged pipes. There’s enough to juggle as a homeowner. Water damage definitely does not need to be on that list. So, check out the following tips for prevention and precautions for pipes and leaks
Tips for Water Leaks
- When you notice something is leaking, shut the water off to that particular faucet or appliance. In the event you are unable to turn off water to the specific area, you can turn off the water for the entire property until you make repairs.
- If you notice water leaking near any electrical outlets, it is best to shut off the electricity for the home. If needed, call an electrician to confirm safety after the water leak has been fixed.
- For significant damage, it will be easier to call a professional plumber as well as a professional water removal crew.
- In the event of smaller leaks, use fans to dry out wet areas or make the investment in a wet-dry vac.
- For leaky roofs, grab a bucket and save your carpet. If the ceiling starts to bow and bubble, water build up could be significant It is best to call a professional sooner rather than later.
- When waiting for carpeted areas to dry out, move out furniture or put it on blocks to prevent damage.
Sometimes a plumber is not accessible and a few quick fixes need to take place. In those cases, you can keep in mind the following tips to help reduce the amount of damage that may occur because of a water leak.
- Grab a bucket! This is the most common sense answer for protecting carpet, floors, and cabinets under the sink. For small drips, put down a bucket until you can get the drip repaired.
- If it’s going to be a little bit longer than temporary, then you can installing a hose to your bucket and drain the water out as it fills.
Either way, you want to get your leaks fixed as soon as possible. In addition to ruined furniture and wasted water, you risk the growth of mold. Mold buildup can be very damaging to your health.