There is nothing more exciting than getting ready for a new baby. The baby showers, the clothes buying, the nesting period; it’s all a wonderfully chaotic time in life. And the icing on the cake is the nursery. Baby’s room. That picture-perfect scene of what’s to come. (Even if baby never sleeps in there, or you end up with a stack of diapers in the living room floor.) As you’re preparing for your new arrival, you’ll want to make sure you have covered the following so that you’re as ready as you can be for the big day!
The Nursery Space
- The room you choose for your nursery should be warm and inviting. It should be quiet enough that household noise doesn’t interrupt important sleep times, but should also be close enough for your child’s safety (and those night time feedings).
- To begin your preparation, clear everything out of the room and out of the closets.
- Then, you’re ready to paint! Choose your theme, pick your colors, and get ready for the transformation. Pick paint colors that are complementary to your your theme and bedding and other decor. Vibrant colors will be visually stimulating for your new baby. If you choose to add wallpaper, pick a fun border around the tops of the walls (well out of baby’s reach).
- Consider carpet. Falls are going to happen, so a cushy carpeted floor will help prevent injuries.
- Time for furniture. The crib is, obviously, the focal point in the room. Assemble the crib and other furniture inside the room, just in case anything is too big to fit through the door. A crib and changing table are the most essential items, followed by dressers and rockers.
- Make sure the furniture and the floors have been cleaned of all debris after assembly.
- Stock up! Get the sheets on the bed, have an extra sheet on standby, and load up the changing table with plenty of diapers, wipes, diaper pins, and lotion. You’ll also want to check the batteries on the baby monitor and any musical item or mobile you have in the room. If you’re using disposable diapers, a Diaper Genie is a great investment. If you’re using cloth diapers, a diaper pail and a trashcan will be necessary.
- Get ready for baby! With the room set, clothes in the drawers, and diapers at the changing table, your nursery is all ready for when you get home.
Did we forget anything? Let us know what nursery essentials you can’t live without!